Tuesday, January 20, 2009

YES I CRIED

OK, I resisted the Obama tide as long as possible, trying not to get sucked into the hero worship that seemed to sweep through even the most cynical quarters. How could any one man be so great? And then he was elected, and I really started listening, and I was hooked.

So, watching today's swearing-in ceremony turned my love of "Yes We Can" into watery eyes and a swelling sense of inspiration. I'm not sure it's the man (fine, though he may be : ) so much as the feeling of hope, the concept of expecting the best in people, the idea that no matter what crap is thrown at you, the human spirit has the ability to carry on. And not just survive, but flourish, without sacrificing ideals, values or dignity.

I confess, my view on all this has little to do with concern over the state of the world, and everything to do with the state of my own life. Needless to say the last 5 years have been at times very difficult, with family dramas, job drama, financial crises, health issues and several personal losses. I've pulled myself up from the depths more times than I care to remember and plenty of times I've felt like just when things were going well, I had the rug pulled out from under me yet again.

I don't mean to make it sound like everything has sucked in my life, but the reality is I've made mistakes that have taken a lot of digging to get myself out of. And of course life has also sent some things my way that I couldn't possibly have caused. True, all those struggles have strengthened me and my relationships, but it can be really damn exhausting to be constantly faced with growth opportunities! Like walking through deep snow, the temptation to lay down and rest is often stronger than the will to keep moving forward.

So it's true - today, as Obama reminded people that rough times have been overcome in the past, and will be overcome again, I couldn't help but take it as a reminder to my own spirit that it's worth the struggle to keep going. That it's important to recognize how far we've come and focus on where we want to go. I've been doing so for some time, but it never hurts to have a reminder that the end will be worth the struggle.

So, here's to the human spirit, a better tomorrow and hope in the world. Let's just hope Obama and I can deliver!

No comments: