Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Carrie + 1

In case there's anyone left on the planet who hasn't heard, here's the grand announcement - I'm pregnant!

Yes, it's true, my life as a uterus continues. At 9 weeks pregnant I'm currently carrying around an olive-sized being with, apparently, super human powers. At least that's what it seems, since my every move these days is dictated by this tiny being - eat now, sleep now, no, you just thought you were getting off the couch, etc. And it's cutting into some of my favourite vices - caffeine, wine and my allergy meds being the most obvious losses at this point.

But, I can't complain too much - so far if I obey its commands, it has spared me the illnesses most woman face - exhaustion and a few headaches being my greatest complaints so far. I'm told that is impressive for this stage of the game, but I'm not making a big deal of it so far, because I recognize that can change in a heartbeat. Plus, I liken pregnancy without sickness to women who can't gain weight - it's not something you brag about, as it tends to causes most women to want to throw things at you.

Having a baby will be a big responsibility, but as you read this, please note, you're not without responsibilities in this situation either. You, my readers, friends and family, are tasked with making sure that I don't lose all perspective and become incapable of talking about anything other than pregnancy and babies. Having been on the other side of this experience for so long, I am extremely dedicated to being excited, but not to the annoyance of others, and I suspect I'll need some reminders on this as we go along. If at any point you hear more than you want to about my body, the pregnancy process or just baby talk in general, you have my permission, no, my pleading, to make me stop!

I will be writing about the pregnancy here for the benefit of those who live at a distance, but, will also be working hard to incorporate posts on other subjects, even if I have to research and make stuff up!

C.

2 comments:

lulubelle said...

Congrats Carrie and welcome to the joys, trials and swollen body parts that come with pregnancy and beyond.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! You came out of the pregnancy closet! You are going to be a great Mommy!!! Tracey