
Sure, there is always the temptation to create a list of things to do and not to do as I hang up my brand new calendar. But the reality is, change comes when you commit to it, not on a specific calendar block.
For me, January marks merely the continuation of an evolution started a few years ago. Motivation to improve my life and truly make it my own came a while back as I "suddenly" faced the reality that I was turning 29. This shock came with the recognition that my twenties seemed to have flashed by with little or no guidance from me, creating a great motivator to attempt some level of intelligent design to life in my thirties.
I also find myself motivated to take action by the fact that not acting seems to be creating more issues than benefits these days. For example, junk food consumption and lack of exercise now have consequences barely imagined in earlier years. In fact, both my personal and work lives have evolved into more pressure and responsibility. In my mind there's still a certain charm to a more laid-back life, but I'm now finding surviving happily in coasting mode is work in itself.
So, I'm slowly but steadily shaking off my slacker thoughts for keener ways, no matter how much I passionately avoided that label in school. Working not to complain and procrastinate, but attack things head on. Am I completely cured? Not exactly. But at least I'm working on it : )
No comments:
Post a Comment