Ok, so I'm slightly addicted to iGoogle these days, and I have the motivational quotes on there that change daily. Here's my favourite from today:
"Men are afraid to rock the boat in which they hope to drift safely through life's currents, when, actually, the boat is stuck on a sandbar. They would be better off to rock the boat and try to shake it loose." - Thomas Szasz
Now, I have no idea who this Thomas guy is, but I think he makes a very good point. It's so easy at times to accept what we have because it's safe, it's known, and "it'll do". Why potentially mess up a good thing? Well, here's my thought - if your boat is truly stable, rocking it won't hurt it. If your boat isn't stable, which would be the only reason you'd fear rocking it, then why would you want THAT as your boat? Who wants to live the rest of their life like that?
Fear is a powerful motivator, and while it can push us in good directions (like how I'm going to the gym because of the fear my ass will eventually need it's own postal code if I don't) it can also drive us to accept something that's just mediocre at best.
I hardly live a wild existence, but the last thing I want to see when I look back years from now is a mediocre life. I want to see happiness, adventure, fun and silly times. Risks taken, goals reached, new ground broken. Those things don't happen if fear rules unequivocally.
So, when you hear things about me these days, things that might seem outside my norm, don't be surprised. Outside my norm is what I'm going for : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
iToo.
While I am increasingly agitated by all things "i" like iPod, iGoogle and the like (remember, it was only a couple of years ago when everything was "e" like e-mail, e-commerce etc.) I too am trying to get more of the good stuff out of life. I don't know if that's about living outside your norm or letting more people in so they know your norm is actually not that normal :)
Post a Comment