I realized today that I've managed to think myself into being stressed about our September Florida trip. Work is sending me on a conference at a Disney World Resort, and I've managed to somehow make this a negative. Only I could manage to make a paid trip to the Happiest Place on Earth a stressful event!So, I've obviously got to do something to calm whatever frenzy has me tied up this tight. For weeks I've been having trouble focusing, remembering and sleeping, all because my body and mind seem to refuse to settle. Even my seeming calm sleep is wrought with frantic dreams, leaving me exhausted and winding me up even tighter.
All this being said, I haven't been miserable, just really wired. And things are good - work's not crazy, home is good, it's summer...it's all in my head! And having been down this path before, I know that high strung Carrie unchecked always leads to Carrie Crash, something no one, include me and especially Joe, enjoys or wants to relive. Something needs to be done.
So, I'm getting my hair cut Saturday (a little treat just for me) and am thinking about getting a massage once I'm back from NY next week. And of course I'll go back to the gym, which does help unwind me, at least physically. But I'm thinking I need something to loosen me up mentally, to stop the obsessing, the making something out of nothing, the paranoia that has me bracing for bad things I'm convinced are just around the corner.
Anyone out there have any experience with meditation? Any other suggestions? Keep in mind I'm thinking long-term solution, as tempting as a litre of wine and a straw may sound : )
4 comments:
Go get yourself some lavendar essential oil (real stuff, not the stuff that smells like purple. Try Cassaroma in Alderny Landing). A few drops on your pillow and you'll sleep soundly. A few drops on a hankerchief or mini-scenting pillow...sniff when you start to feel anxious, calms you right down.
(note: not safe for use during pregnancy).
And remember to breathe.
Breathe.....hmmmm. So simple, and yet so easily forgotten...
Have you ever tried yoga? You'd be amazed what all that stretching and balancing can do for stress.
I have done a bit of yoga here and there. There's a class at the gym I belong to on Sat mornings I keep threatening to go to again...trick is convincing myself of that on Sat morning! But even the few times i tried it I did notice a huge difference in my sense of calm going in versus coming out. Definitely worth another go - thank you for the reminder!
Post a Comment