Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Reinventing of a Pack Rat

So I'm sitting here in my living room, slightly overwhelmed at being partially surrounded by the many belongings and collections that have spilled from my beloved craft room. How could all my good junk have escaped its enclosure? It's been released as part of my self-induced pack rat detox and sanity-recovery program!

If you've been around me for more than a few minutes, you've likely heard the saga of the craft room. Filled with the hopes and dreams of creative projects ranging from homemade jewelry to hand-stamped stationary, this should-be crafters paradise has become the outward sign of all that is messy in my mind and my world. It's also become a safe haven for many an item rescued from Joe's anti-clutter rampages - "...because it's mine and I like it - just put it in my room!" is a familiar phrase in our world!

Recognizing the overwhelming implications of this issue, there have been many attempts at cleaning, purging and reorganizing, and all have ended in my poor room's relapse back to the place unwanted things go to die! Some of you have even participated in parts of these efforts to revive my potential den of creativity, and for those efforts I thank you!

But now, finally, I believe the craft room beast is about to be tamed! Armed with a vision of laminante floors, brightly coloured walls and and an organized workspace, I have a plan I've been slowly putting into action through purging and sorting, and today - THE CARPET CAME OUT!

Now, some of you might think removing carpet without replacement flooring at the ready is somewhat foolhardy, but I assure you, it's all part of the plan. There will be beautiful floors in time, but for now, there will be budget-fitting painted plywood, and it will be beautiful in my eyes because it's one step closer to the vision!

On top of the floor potential, paint colours have been selected and about half of my 'good junk' has been sorted. And while my living room/ dining room area currently looks like the set of Clean Sweep (can you say "Keep, Sell, Toss"?) I have an overwhelming sense of optimism that has not been associated with my craft room since we first bought the house and I had yet to actually move my stuff in!

In fact, I have such faith in my creative vision, I'm daring to predict that MY room design will outdo in creativity and pure "Carrie-ness" the critically acclaimed Habs shrine housed only a staircase away! (Yes, you heard me - better than the HABS ROOM!!!)

So what will I have learned from the trauma and triumphs of this process? Will a new and improved room lead to a new and improved Carrie? Obviously the full impact remains to be seen, but hopefully the successful completion will help encourage this die-hard pack rat to embrace the concept of "sacrifice stuff, not sanity", and possibly encourage me to finish some of those other visions whose supplies survive the purging efforts of the great room project!

Oh, and you'll all be invited to the grand opening, date to be determined - I'll keep you posted : )

No comments: