Friday, May 4, 2007

A Whole New Normal

Ok, so it is painfully obviously that in recent months I've sacrificed much of my social and creative activities, including this blog, to survive the hectic nature of my job. Don't get me wrong, I've learned a lot, enjoyed (most of) the challenges put in my path, and was well compensated for my extra efforts. But now, on my first work-free days since April 8th, I'm rededicating myself to creating a better balance of fun in my life.


So basically, I'm trying to create a new normal. For 8 months+ work has dominated, and like any major life event, now that the insanity is over, I'm in that weird adjustment phase. The idea that my free time is my own (that is exists at all!) seems foreign, and while I'm happy to accept the challenge of filling it with fun, this new normal will take some getting used to. To aid that process, I'm determined to refocus on fun as much as possible!

In that spirit, Cindy and I have recently bought VIP tickets to the Aerosmith concert in PEI in July!!!!!!!!!! We've booked a B&B near the venue for Friday and Saturday, concert tickets are in hand (well, in Cindy's hands, where they're much safer!) and we'll set off in the Tiburon, tunes blasting, for a weekend of music and all things fun and silly! For those of you who knew me in high school, you may remember a certain denim jacket with the Aerosmith wings on the back, pointing to just how long I've been waiting for this experience! And yes, the VIP tickets were crazy pricy, but since when have practical budgeting techniques had anything to do with Rock n Roll???

I'm also heading back to the craft room for all things creative, and continuing my work on the redesign of the room itself. Granted, part of the joy of the room is that it will never truly be complete, but its design will evolve as I do, adjusting and changing to suit me wherever I find myself.

While my dedication to this room may seem strange to some, it is a place where all things Carrie roam free, where the only design rule is everything needs to feel right, and make me smile. It is home base for my playful, creative spirit to recharge when it returns battered by the adult, practical nature of the outside world. Yes, it is a very talented room - not surprisingly, given the owner : )



And yes, updating my blog is also on my list of balanced life to dos. Promising regular updates may be a bit premature, but I'm working on it. So stay tuned, those of you who've survived the blog drought so far - more fun is on the horizon!!

No comments: